Since 1982, I have worked tirelessly to defend people against serious, life altering charges. Through dedication, determination, experience, and hard work, I know I can help anyone facing extreme accusations. I have exclusively practiced criminal defense since my admission to the bar in December, 1982. Working as a public defender, court appointed counsel, and retained counsel, I have been the defense attorney on over 225 jury trials, as well as over 1000 court trials, motions, and preliminary hearings. I have represented people in state and federal court in cases ranging in seriousness from trespass, petty theft, and drunk driving to three strikes, multiple sex counts and death penalty homicides.
- State University of New York at Oneonta – Oneonta, New York Bachelor of Science in Business Economics – May, 1979
- Southwestern University School of Law – Los Angeles, California Juris Doctor – May, 1982
1983-1987 Deputy, Orange County Public Defender Santa Ana, California
- I worked in juvenile court representing minors charged with misdemeanors and felonies, in municipal court representing people charged with misdemeanors in jury trial and those charged with felonies at preliminary hearing, and in superior court felony trials.
- In excess of 30 jury trials, 100 court trials, and 100 preliminary hearings and motions.
1987-1989 Associate, Law Offices of Stewart and Barnett Santa Ana, California
- I represented people charged with misdemeanors and felonies, both retained and appointed in both state and federal courts.
- In excess of 20 jury trials and 500 preliminary hearings and motions.
1989-1995 Private Practice Santa Ana, California
- During a portion of this time I had a retained practice devoted exclusively to state and federal criminal cases. From October, 1992 to January, 1995, I supervised the primary indigent contract in Orange County Superior Court, representing in excess of 1000 individuals charged with felonies.
- In excess of 50 jury trials, including one death penalty trial, and 200 preliminary hearings and motions.
1995-January, 1997 Deputy, Orange County Public Defender Santa Ana, California
- When Orange County declared bankruptcy, they terminated the indigent contract and I went back to work at the Public Defender’s Office in January, 1995. From that time until January, 1997, I was on the felony panel, maintaining a caseload of approximately 25 clients, half of whom were facing life sentences.
- In excess of 30 jury trials, half of which were potential life sentences.
February, 1997 – Present Private Practice Santa Ana, California
- I have my own practice devoted exclusively to representing people charged with public offenses in the Superior Court throughout Southern California.
- In excess of 125 jury trials including seven death penalty cases.
- California State Bar – December, 1982 State Bar Number 105787
- United States District Court, Central District of California – 1982
- United States Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit – 1983
- United States Supreme Court – 1989